What is SAYNPS?
The South African Young Nuclear Professionals Society (SAYNPS) is a youth organisation within the South African Nuclear Industry and academia. We are a non-profit organisation that was established in 2002. We are committed to the ideals of environmentally friendly, peaceful and safe uses of nuclear science and technology. We encourage youth to participate in nuclear activities through studying, conducting research and publication of research papers both nationally and internationally. We also encourage the youth to effectively and adequately participate in the activities of the International Youth Nuclear Congress under the auspices of the Department of Energy.
As an independent and professional youth formation in the South African nuclear Industry, SAYNPS advocates for the promotion and advancement of nuclear science and technology to improve the quality of life and accelerate economic growth in South Africa by ensuring the availability of adequate skills, experience, and knowledge in nuclear science and technology.
To protect, sustain, and promote the responsible and safe usage of nuclear technology through youth empowerment.
To ensure that South Africa and Africa as a whole are internationally recognised in the field of nuclear science and technology through local, regional, and international youth nuclear activities.
The objectives of SAYNPS are to:
- Promote the South African nuclear industry both locally and internationally by ensuring effective and adequate participation of South African youth in nuclear related activities.
- Educate youth about careers in the nuclear industry.
- Expose young nuclear professionals to other international young nuclear professionals through participation in International fora such as the International Youth Nuclear Congress (IYNC).
- Encourage professionals to participate in nuclear activities through studying, conducting research and publication of research papers both nationally and internationally.
- To assist with outreach campaigns aimed at informing the public about the importance of nuclear science and technology in the society.
- Ensure skills transfer and development is realized in the nuclear sector for Young Professionals.
Over the years, SAYNPS membership has grown significantly. SAYNPS has also extended its membership to various universities offering nuclear and radiation sciences related curriculum (e.g. North West University, Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University, University of Limpopo, etc.) so as to enhance the interface between students and young nuclear professionals and also to provide a platform to influence training requirements for young nuclear professionals at tertiary institutions based on feedback received from local university chapters. SAYNPS plans to further expand the student chapters to all the universities including Technical Vocational Education and Training colleges (TVETs) Colleges.
SAYNPS, as a member of the African Young Generation in Nuclear (AYGN) and the International Youth in Nuclear Congress (IYNC), has a responsibility to ensure that all young nuclear professionals participate in all nuclear related activities at various platforms both locally and internationally.